Relax ladies! you’re not alone, many women experience heartburn during pregnancy. More than half of all pregnant women report symptoms of severe heartburn, particularly during their second and third trimesters.
Heartburn is a burning sensation which occurs mainly due to hormonal and physical changes during pregnancy. Although, it has nothing to do with the heart.This happens particularly during their second and third trimesters. This burning sensation occurs from the bottom of the breastbone to the lower throat.Unfortunately, heartburn comes and goes until your baby is born.
FOODS THAT CAN CAUSE HEARTBURN DURING PREGNANCY
To avoid heartburn, you have to eliminate the following eatables from your diet.
- Citrus foods like oranges, grapefruits and tomatoes
- Caffeinated beverages
- Fatty foods
PREVENTION FROM HEARTBURN DURING PREGNANCY
- Eliminate Trigger Foods Identify the foods that intensify your heartburn and banish them from your diet. It is also a good idea to maintain a diet journal, so that you can track how each food item affects your sickness.
- Avoid spicy and fatty food
- Don’t eat just before sleeping. Eat at least 2-3 hours before going to bed. Give yourself time to digest the food.
- Your outfit should not create any tightness around your stomach. Wear loose and comfortable clothes.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking can cause various complications and moreover smoking creates stomach acidity.
- Eat slowly
- Don’t lie straight on the bed. Keep your head high than your feet to prevent stomach acid rising into chest
- Eat smaller meals rather than taking large meals
- Avoid constipation
- Drink less while eating as more drinking can cause heartburn
- Eating chewing gum after meals may prevent heartburn as chewing gum can fight acid reflux.