Constipation is common during pregnancy. Almost,half of the women gets constipated during early pregnancy. It is due to hormonal changes and expansion of uterus. But it is not all bad, as there’s a silver lining to it, food stays for a longer time in the intestines, which gives more time for the nutrients to get absorbed.
What is constipation?
It is a condition in which there is difficulty in emptying bowels. A lot of women complain of constipation during pregnancy. Main reason for constipation during pregnancy is the increase in hormone progesterone. This means that food passes very slowly from intestine.The problem is compounded later by the pressure of increasing uterus.
What are the causes of constipation?
Generally, worry, anxiety, less physical exercise may cause constipation. The main reason for constipation is increase in hormone progesterone which relaxes smooth muscles inside the body. This makes slow movement of food through the intestine.
Sometimes, iron tablets may also contribute to constipation.
What are the symptoms of constipation?
- Occasional rectal bleeding
- Decreased appetite
- Lower abdominal swelling which may lead to pain or cramps
- Less than 3 bowel movements a week.
How to prevent constipation?
- Consume high fibre diet like brown rice, bread, beans, fruits and vegetables.
- Drink a lot of liquids like juice, warm water
- Regular exercise is necessary like walking, yoga
- Eliminate iron supplements
- Schedule toilet time
- Consider your medications carefully
How can constipation affect the baby?
There won’t be any problem for baby. For you, it can lead to serious medical problems like hemorrhoids and rectal bleeding. So at best, you can have warm milk before bedtime, for a smooth bowel in the morning. Also increase consumption of dairy products.
What are the natural remedies to relieve constipation?
- Drink a glass of lukewarm water and with a lemon in it to have smooth bowel movement.
- Drink other fruit juices
- Eat whole fruits instead of juices as it will give more fibre