I had an amazing evening yesterday, attending my best friend’s Baby Shower.
My friend (Shipra) has diabetes and the topic of discussion was
CAN PREGNANT WOMEN CONSUME ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS?
For ladies with a sweet tooth like my dear friend, its not easy to resist anything that has a sugary taste!
So what are they supposed to do? Refrain from anything sweet all through those nine months?
- There are a lot of options and much confusion when it comes to artificial sweeteners
- Pregnant women can safely use low-calorie sweeteners in moderation, unless otherwise advised by their physicians
- Many health organizations and healthcare providers suggest limiting artificially sweetened foods in your diet to only 2 or 3 servings a day. Examples of one serving include:
- 1/2 cup of pudding, ice cream, or gelatin product
- one bowl of sweetened cereal
- one portion of a bakery item
Here’s what the Experts have to say:
- Artificial sweeteners are safe to use during pregnancy in moderation. They have been extensively tested.
- STEVIA on the other hand, has not been extensively tested and many safety questions are left unanswered; therefore is should NOT be used during pregnancy.
-(Becky Hand, Licensed and Registered Dietitian)
So go ahead, enjoy every moment of being pregnant, stay healthy, stay safe.
The joys of motherhood await you! 🙂